Sunday, May 10, 2009

The day I became a Mother


Let me start by saying Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers. What a wonderful calling to have. I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I think about this awesome gift of motherhood. I tell my Tate often that I could keep a better house, or fold laundry more or do all those other motherly duties better but I could never love my girls more than I do. I don't think it is possible for anyone to love more than this. They are the one thing that causes the overwhelming feeling of love in me, I mean the kind that makes you feel like your heart is going to jump right out of your chest. I remember the first time I realized what it meant to be a mother. It was like some kind of revelation to me :) I mean, I was never one of those little 12 year old girls that was so Ga Ga over babies and couldn't wait to baby sit or go hold all the babies at church. In fact I was the opposite. Babies terrified me. I was scared to be a Mom, I was afraid i wouldn't be good at it. And then there was Tatum. That little 3 and a half pound miracle. She made me realize what love was and what it meant to be a mother. I remember my first mothers day I sat down to write in my mothers card the normal stuff. You know... "to the best mom ever" that stuff... And then it hit me. I understood. I understood how my mom feels about me. I understood how much she loved me and how much I was a part of her soul. Because I had my own little one who grew in me and took a part of my soul with her. I understood what it was to be a mother and to know that there wasn't anything greater in the world than that. As noble of a calling as there could be. I love all you mothers for being such wonderful women and for all you do everyday, because life is in the details. Happy Mothers Day.

2 comments:

mitzi said...

Thanks for putting it into words--you are a great mother(and wonderful sister)! I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful.
I love you!

Sarah said...

That was beautiful Melissa. Happy Mothers Day.